They announced that the women are going to be practicing a song to sing in church. My mind instantly went back in time...14 years ago. I had just given birth to my second son. The pregnancy had added to my already fat body, and pushed me into a new category of morbidly obese. A few weeks of "rest" and I was expected to return to the normal things in life. Housework, school and church. The Sunday I returned to church, there was an all women's choir singing in sacrament meeting. Since I had just had a baby, I was too emotional to go up with the group and sing. Afterwards, several people asked why I didn't sing with the group and if I was okay. Blah Blah Blah..... It wasn't like I was depressed or anything, I just didn't want to go up! The next week, the Bishop announced that after the first speaker, the sisters will sing. What the heck? Two weeks in a row? I knew I had to go up this time so people wouldn't wonder what was wrong with me. I didn't even know what song they were doing, but I decided I would go up anyways. As soon as the first speaker said Amen, I got up and headed towards the pulpit. I finally reached the front of the chapel and to my dismay a quartet of women had gathered. It wasn't the whole women's choir. It was a well rehearsed, well organized group of four that surely wondered where this crazy fifth member had come from. Of course being Christ like as they were, the one lady took my hand and let me sing with them. I could barely utter out the words, and my husband said I was white as a ghost. To top it off....the song was "O My Father" the longest, slowest hymn in the book!!!!! By the way, even if I had been skinny.....it still would have been one of the worst days of my life.
Thursday, September 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment